Friday, October 19, 2012

Pregnancy Update

Yesterday, I had a checkup with the OB. Nothing alarming or anything, just another checkup. I have gone from losing 16lbs from my starting weight to being up 1 lb from where I started. What's significant about this 1lb you ask? Well, that's how much I gained between my two appointments that were 3 weeks apart. At this point in the pregnancy (as most of you know), I'm allowed to gain a pound a week. Thankfully, my doctor has a great outlook because she said that as long as my weight is going up or as long as I'm not loosing than we're fine.

When I was pregnant with Penelope, I was a high risk pregnancy (because I was so sick) and had an ultrasound in the third trimester. This is not typical of most pregnancies for most people. Most insurance companies want a reason to have it done or they won't approve the cost. I had asked her if we were going to have an ultrasound done this time around and she said we didn't need to but if I wanted one she could tell the insurance company that I've had a low weight gain and that she wants to check on the baby to make sure everything is looking good. In all honesty, she's not worried because the baby is actually measuring big at this point so in my mind having the ultrasound will give us a better idea of how big this little guy is going to be. People have been asking how big Penny measured when I was pregnant with her and she measured right on every time as well as she was born on time. I'm not so sure I'm actually going to make it to my due date with this one. Call it a mother's intuition if you want.

I told my doctor of my new pains (I've started having some sharp, lower back pain- which is typical because of all the weight it's carrying- and some hip pain when I sleep). She said the back pain is just something that comes with the territory of being pregnant but gave me a couple exercises I can do to help relieve it before thinking of taking tylenol, As for the hip pain, she said what I'm doing right now (I constantly flip from side to side during the night based on the pain) is exactly what I should be doing. She said that research has found that it's no better to lay on your left side than your right and that some pregnant women are even able to sleep on their back with a slight angle (although she doesn't recommend trying that for me right now to be safe).

So I see the doctor again in 2 weeks (CRAZY that it's been going fast) and an ultrasound in a month.

Just 9-10 short more weeks (or even less if you're hopeful like me that this little guy is going to come early) left! I'll be sure to keep posting bump pictures and cute outfits that I (and my sister) come up with.

2 comments:

  1. Getting closer!!! WhooHoo!!!!! Just think what a slim and trim mom you're going to be after little "whoozit" makes his appearance!! By the way, who is little "whoozit"? Names yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't narrowed it down from the 6 yet from the blog post "Baby Names" from August. But yes, closer and closer it comes. And then sooner and sooner you'll come :) I hope I'll be able to do a better job getting the weight off than I was with Penny.

      Delete