(2/7)
Well, a couple of weeks ago, we noticed Declan wasn't 100% (after throwing up and diarrhea and a temp of 102) so I took him to the doctor (even though his fever had broken) just to get looked over because I felt something was still a little off. Of course, mother's instinct was right- he had an ear infection in his left ear. The doctor, aware of what Declan had just been through, prescribed an antibiotic that he would only need to take once a day (for 10 days) but we needed to be aware that it was going to cause some diarrhea (that he was already trying to get over). She also recommended that we get some baby yogurt to get some good bacteria in him to help his system kick this. We made a follow up appointment for two weeks later. Declan had been getting a really bad diaper rash so we were slathering him up with cream and giving him a bath (which seemed to help short term) but the bathing started to flare up his eczema on his left shoulder. I was looking high and low for the little sample we were given from the dermatologist's office last April and with no luck, I called their office to get the name of it. They spelled it out for me and everything and told me it would be behind the pharmacy area even though it was an over the counter but if I wanted they did sell it at the office as well. I thought I would try my luck with calling around a few pharmacies to see who might carry it in stock. Turns out that it's a hydrocortisone lotion that they have to special order (because it's not asked for very much). I had called 10 different pharmacies with no luck. I decided to bite the bullet and just go to the dermatologist's office and pay the extra $6 for the lotion (that he needs to have 3x a day). Declan was seeming to be on the mend of all this stuff and just before the two week follow up, he started walking. He was still getting a little grouchy towards bed time so we had chalked it up to teething perhaps and gave him a round of tylenol. I went very hopeful to his appointment (although, he had just started up with a runny nose and a really bad cough- bad enough that we had given him his inhaler the night before the follow up, as well as turned the humidifier on, and a few nights prior Chris didn't come to bed until midnight because he was concerned about the massive coughing). I knew that the doctor would be kind enough to check out his cough while we were there too. She was and listened to his lungs and said we were smart and right to get his regimen going and to use the inhaler every 4 hours until he sounds better so we can avoid any lung problems. She also then checked his ears. First the right (no infection from the first visit and still looked good but hairy), then the left... a sigh. "Well, we need to give him something a little stronger". She looked over her notes and we talked about why we used the last medicine (because of the vomiting and diarrhea) and she asked how he was doing in those departments (which he was completely over both). She then prescribed another antibiotic that was stronger (and needs to be refrigerated and he needs to take with food) that he'll take twice a day for ten days with another two week follow up. The doctor warned me that this will give him diarrhea again and if it gets really bad to call her so we can fix that up (oh the joys of parenthood).
All better!
No comments:
Post a Comment