I have a great friend (maybe I'm biased that I have great friends) and her fiancé is about to leave on deployment into a submarine. With that, there are very specific dimensions for the officers' cots and what kind of fabric can and cannot be used. At first, we were thinking something easy like a fleece blanket with the knots tying them together. Then we found out that we could only use cotton. So, with the dimensions of 30" by 90" (a couple feet longer than the size of the bed so he can have some fold over), we came up with this idea of 3 10"squares by 9 10" squares. The hope for the middle squares was to have the lyrics of a lullaby put on that my friend had written him (so cute, right?). Because there are 3 versus and 3 chorus', there would be 3 extra squares in the middle to do with what we wanted. My mom has some pretty cool stencils for quilting and even though we're far away, I was able to take pictures and ask which she liked best and what not.
(My daughter looks for photo opportunities, especially when I'm doing a quilt.)
I just chain pieced my way through this quilt top with no problems (after seeing all the practice I got with the Hello Kitty quilt, lining these squares up came with such ease) and ironed the seams the same direction on one row and then the opposite way for the next row. Now, we had originally thought to had embroider the lyrics on but due to some time constraints, I decided to go with iron-ons onto the blocks:
The stencils we decided to go with in the empty squares was a heart and a moon with a star:
After such a detailed stencil, we both agreed that just outlining the rest of the squares (the outer ones) would be best and would keep the eye drawn to the middle. We used a flannel for the back to keep him warm when he goes off to sea.
All folded up and ready to be shipped off. (They got it just after Christmas but in time before he was to leave).









No comments:
Post a Comment