Monday, February 9, 2015

Project: Fast Baby Girl Quilt- Disappearing Four Patch

So, I mentioned in my last post I had to stop from Tuesday morning until Friday night to make a baby quilt. Here it goes: I had bought a charm pack from Missouri Star Quilt Company (I've been sucked in my their AMAZING daily deals) and hoped these colors would be loved by the mom to be. 
Here's the color pallet:


See- 81% off. How could I pass this up? Then I used a handy little tutorial by the same company (found on YouTube) and decided that I'd do a disappearing four patch. 
Here's the quilt I based this quilt off of:


Super cute for a baby quilt, right? And not that hard to construct. I had some white fabric on hand that I made into a charm pack (5" squares) and used 40 of the 42 from each pack (from the colors and from the white). That made it a 4 X 5 block quilt (the blocks end up being about 7 1/2" after you've made them disappearing four patches). First I laid out the squares out on the table (not all at first as I was deciding how big I wanted to make this):


I then stacked them into a pile and chain pieced these bad boys into a 4 patch (just 4 squares sewn together- nothing special). And then you make 4 cuts 1" from the middle seam on all four sides of the middle point. Then, you flip a few of the pieces, including the middle square a quarter turn counter clockwise. 
This is the finished block (again, AMAZING tutorial on YouTube):



This is what I chose as my backing. I like this because the mom can use either side as the top. (A great fabric that I got from shop of Mom).


Here's how the first part of it looked- not all the blocks yet.


Now all the blocks laid out:


This is a photo of the fabrics I was auditioning for the 4" border I wanted (4 1/2" border if you include seam allowance).


Penny's good eye (along with my mom's) chose the yellow with flowers. This was fabric that was given to me from a friend who got it from someone who hordes a lot of fabric. I am a lucky person :)


Borders sewn down:


All the layers based and ready to be quilted:


I decided to use the floral border again that I just used on Aunt #2 quilt. Very cute. It's technically called pumpkin seed border.


And if you look closely, I used a stippling pattern for the main part of the quilt. The longest part was tracing it all on. I know one day I'll be confident enough to stipple on my own.


First section quilted!:


All stippled!


All quilted and loved this pink floral fabric for the binding (Look familiar? It was one of the colors on the previous quilt :) )


All trimmed up and ready to bind!


Back view.


Binding started!


Before the wash:


All washed and DONE!


Back view:


Zoomed in on the back:


Front view zoomed:


Another close look:


Last look:


It was well received. I don't know this mom to be really well but it brought her to tears (about) as it reminded her of her grandma who quilts as well. So, a quick little project- Tuesday morning to Friday night- all done and out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment